Tuesday 4 February 2014

The end of my teaching career

I'm currently on the train ride from Amsterdam to Cologne and with nothing better to do, I thought I'll write a post. Last Friday was my last day of supply teaching in the UK after two years, but it also marked the end of my teaching career after five years. I originally thought I would feel a sense of relief, but unfortunately that was not the case. 

I still remember how I lost my passion for teaching back home,  and was dreading supply teaching in London. However, teaching in the UK was one of the most enjoyable periods during my teaching career. I loved the unknown challenges of potential classrooms I would teach in, I appreciated the diverse cultures and learning abilities of my students, and I love how I was given the opportunity to teach the full range of classes; nursery all the way up to year 6!

One thing I gained out of supply teaching, is self confidence, which I clearly lacked back home. I know I am a lot more capable than I thought I was. This was acknowledged throughout the numerous schools I worked at; they gave me positive comments and quite often requested me back. 

The students I have taught over the years have varied, some were way more challenging then others, but I guess that was what kept me on my feet. I especially loved teaching the younger children; their sense of curiosity and innocence always brings a smile to my face!

So what does the future hold after ending my teaching career? To be honest, I'm not really sure. Hopefully I can transfer my skills across to a new career path, but I am sure it will not be in the classroom. I would still like do something related to education but office based. Throw in a job linked to a charity with a reasonable salary, and you can let me know where to sign!

As they say; when one door closes, another one opens. This shall hopefully relate to my employment prospects...

0 comments:

Post a Comment