Friday 17 February 2012

Malaysia- Kuching

Straight after leaving Japan, I landed at my next destination: Kuching. My mission was to eat as much as possible and to attend JT and HC's wedding. Kuching was a real big contrast to Japan! Nevertheless, it was still an awesome experience especially being able to be an MC in front of 300 guests.

I remember when I first arrived, Jo and Di took me to eat something that I have been savouring for a very long time: Bak Kut Deh! What I make and what can be eaten in Perth is nothing compared to this! For those who don't know, this is a herbal soup with assorted meats. One of my favourites!


Di and her parents also took me to visit one of their family friends for Chinese New Year. Although I have celebrated CNY before, I never had the opportunity to do family visits as all our relatives are based in Hong Kong. It was interesting to see the amount of preparation one will take to make their friends and family welcome; you need to have your house decorated nicely with lanterns and other decorations, the table needs to be filled with 20 different kinds of snacks and to constantly make sure you guests are constantly eating/ drinking. I also got a bonus: my first red pocket in Malaysia!! :)

Jo and HC's wedding- This was the main reason I was in Kuching and it was definitely an unforgettable experience. The day started off with the groom and his mates having to 'play' some games so they can gain access to the bride in the house. Di has been planning for days on what sort of torture she will implement on us, but luckily we were let off easily on the day by doing things such as singing songs, drinking soy sauce and having someone doing a Korean dance move...

The second part involved a tea ceremony and lunch at both families house followed by the main reception dinner at Hilton. I have to say that the wedding reception was done really well. The decorations involved several swan ice sculptures, the entrance was beautifully done up and the whole venue was well presented. There was a band playing at the reception called "Young Once", which was made up of several men in their 50's. I have to say that  they were actually really good!
I'm not going to go in detail with my MC gig but I will say that it went well overall minus hiccups at the beginning... Thanks Jo and HC for letting me be your MC! 

















Now Di, if you are reading this post, I know I still haven't covered a lot of stuff such as the amazing food I ate, the whole family (myself included) being sick and also celebrating your birthday (I felt so bad for sleeping through most of it...) but I'm gonna end it by saying that my main highlight of the trip was being able to spend time with the Ting family. They were so hospitable during my stay and I felt like I was part of their family. I'm blessed to know such great people and thanks for making my trip so memorable!

1 comments:

Di said...

I think you are the adopted son of the ting family now.. How are you in uk? Missing you here

Post a Comment